Sunday, July 28, 2013

7.28.13

{DIY: Coat Closet to Mudroom}

When my husband and I moved into our house almost two years ago, I knew something had to be done to our small and out of place "coat closet".   Over the next several months of us unpacking and getting settled it became a catch all for things that didn't have a place yet.  It also had so much lost space at the bottom that could be used for storage, something our home definitely lacks.

I started searching on Pinterest for "small coat closet makeover ideas" and found quite a few photos of coat closets turned into a mudroom and I immediately knew this was the perfect DIY project for this space.  Not only would it give me more storage space for all those "little things" but it would be a pretty place for guests to leave their belongings when they visit.  If you have little ones, this is would be a great space for them to put their shoes, backpacks, etc.

First, I cleared out the closet, removed the coat bar and cleaned.  I knew I wanted some sort of bench in there so I did some measurements and searching online.  Last, I added some baskets, a white door hanger, a pillow & a cute wall decal.

{before & after photo}

Straw Baskets: Tj Maxx
Pillow: Marshalls
Wall Decal: Hobby Lobby
Bench: Target
Storage Cubes: Target

You can purchase the storage bench here: ClosetMaid 3 Cube Bench

Overall the project was pretty simple and I loved how it turned out but more importantly we use the closet every day.  It also doesn't hurt to be reminded each day that "life is beautiful" because it is!

Have you done a project for a closet in your home?  I'd love to hear about it!

<3 Katie

0 comments :