Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Recipe: chicken tortilla pie

You know how you have those recipes that you LOVE and cook time after time then forget about it and rediscover it and wonder why the heck you haven't been cooking it?!  I swear that happens to me all the time!  This is a recipe I cooked weekly when Josh and I first got married but I don't think I've cooked it the past couple of years.  It's a very easy and customizable dish and I'm so excited to share it with you all!


[what you need]

springform pan
tortillas
beans
rotisserie chicken
green onion
pico de gallo
diced green chilis
shredded cheese
chipotle tabasco 



This dish can really be cooked on any pan but I like using the springform pan because it can be a little messy to assemble and the edge catches all of the food.  To start, I do a few things to prep like shred chicken, rinse and drain beans, chop green onions, open the can of green chilis and spray my pan with avocado oil.  I also mix some of the chipotle tabasco in with the black beans.  This does make it spicy so if you are cooking for kids you can add it to the areas of the pie you would like and mark it with toothpicks.

Next, you will start to layer.  This is the order I do them in: tortilla, beans, chicken, green onions, pico, green chilis, cheese, repeat.  



While you are layering you need to be sure to get the food all the way to the edges or else each layer will sink in on the edges (as shown in photo above, bottom left) and the food will fall out as you build the layers up.  

In this particular dish I did three tortilla layers and on the third I only put beans, onions and cheese.  You can certainly do more layers.



I cooked it in a 350 degree over for about 20 minutes.  You want to make sure the center is hot before serving.  We eat this alone or with avocado slices and sometimes rice as a side.


I hope you find this recipe easy and tasty & as always, please let me know if you have any questions!



0 comments :