Sunday, January 18, 2015

1.18.15

{Sunday Spotlight}

Wow! The days have seemed to (fortunately) fly by while taking care of a sick toddler all week and here I am writing up another Sunday Spotlight post.  I'm hoping to have my Momma Do post up this week as well! 

This Sunday, I'm spotlighting Willow Crowns, a one stop accessory shop for your little ones as well as yourself!  Megan the creator behind this adorable shop is a sweet and FUNNY momma who tells it like it is & I absolutely love that honesty about her!  If you aren't already, you need to be following her on Instagram because I promise she will make you laugh and brighten your days.  Also, her dear friend Stephanie recently joined the Willow Crowns team!  






We have purchased a few items from Willow Crowns and below are photos of our favorites! 





















All of the pieces we own are wonderful quality and comfortable for Norah to wear.  She still plays with the cat ears daily!  Read on for more from Willow Crowns.


*
Why did you begin Willow Crowns? 

I started Willow Crowns when my daughter was 10 months old, because as much as I loved being a stay at home mom (and I still do!), I felt like I needed to do something for myself. I felt like I needed something I could take ownership of and be creative with. I was making headbands for Liv already and thought that little hobby might be fun to expand on. Taking the time during her naps to sit down and create pieces, chat with customers, and fill orders was something I looked forward to every day, my little sanctuary in the middle of a busy day with a busy little one. I still look forward to it just as much every single day! 

How long have you been in business? 

We've been in business for 18 months, it feels like they've just flown by!
 

What are two random facts about yourself?

1. I was a Nutritionist before I became a mother and business owner - I loved it, but don't think it was my true calling.
2. My husband and I went on our first "date" in the 7th grade. We took a little break between 7th grade and our senior year of high school, but we've been together ever since!

What would you say is your peak and pit of owning your own business?

For me, the satisfaction of seeing a collection come together and then seeing it on customers is the absolute peak. I just love the creative process and seeing it come to life at birthday parties, holidays, special photo shoots, or just in every day outfits makes my day. I love that moms choose our pieces for their little ones and themselves.

If I had to choose a downside, I'd say it's that you're never really on vacation. Whether the shop is open or not, your mind is going. Whether it's thinking of new ideas, finding the best way to market a piece/collection, or sorting out a customer problem, the hours aren't 9-5. I love the flexibility that owning my own business gives me, but it's always on my mind!

If you could give one piece of advice to someone wanting to open a handmade shop what would it be?

Don't settle. Sometimes it's tempting to put something out there that isn't your best work, or something that you've seen somewhere else, but if it isn't your best, most honest attempt, don't do it. Whether it's honing your photography skills, developing relationships in the Instagram and online community, or researching materials and ideas until you can't keep your eyes open, don't settle. I really believe that if you put your best work, and your best work only out there for people to see, it will do well.


*
 
I hope you all had wonderful weekend and are ready to take on the week!  Thanks for stopping by!

Love,
Katie

0 comments :